Thursday, July 7, 2011

We can always live off Rice and Potatoes....

Date: 06 May 2011
Venue: The Blue Chair
Guests: Scott, Steph and Bryan
Tickets: $20






Opening Band: Ladies of the Canyon


The ladies were a good opener. I hadn't heard of them before, but they had a warm stage presence and harmonized well with each other. Personally, it's not my kind of music, but it was an enjoyable set none-the-less.

Fiery hands down, my favorite banjo playing Canadian Folk musician. But really, he has a shy but very sweet stage presence. He seemed to have come out of his shell a little more than the last time Steph and I saw him a the Blue Chair over a year earlier. He even played a cover song from a favorite move of Scott and mine: Not in Nottingham from Disney's Robin Hood. It was epic. I was so so happy with the show and I can't wait to see him again next year. Be Mine became a new song for Scott and I:  since he skipped it once and a couple had traveled from Australia to hear it, as it was their wedding song. Now he plays it every show as penance.

Setlist:
Missing you
Matchu pichu
My way
Be mine
Yodel
Forest
Undone
Suffering
Woe betide the Doer of the Deed
Quit my Job
Not in Nottingham
Hard rain
This world
Foreign
My Hands on Fire
Caney River
Joy of Cooking

The venue is good, but not great. It is super close to out house, about a 5 minute walk. It's quaint, but you a great view of the stage from many seats with the set up they have. There was a loud table that was disrespectful to the quiet appreciation of my Old Man, who I think were here for the Ladies of the Canyon, and just stuck around for the main show to socialize. The food there is pretty good, although I wish they wouldn't put a caveat that all patrons must spend money on food. Most people would happily do so any way, it just cheapens the show to make it seem like just a way to move more food through the kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment